How can I possibly tell you how to run your life? I am a novelist and your aunt, not a seer. I suppose I could offer a few general rules. For example:
- Love your mother if you possibly can, since she is the source of your life.
- Love men if you possibly can, since they are the source of your gratification.
- Reform yourself, as well as the world.
- Agree with your accusers, loudly and clearly. They will shut up sooner.
- Worry less about what other people think of you, and more about what you think of them.
Fay Weldon, Letters to Alice on first reading Jane Austen.